Discussion Forums

Canadian Record Sus...
Clear all

Canadian Record Suspension or Pardon


My divorce was bitter. My wife cheated on me and I was in a real bad place. I was drinking a lot and was charged with DUI once. It has been around 8 years since that happened and daemons from that time is still chasing me. It has been bad for my career and been making my life miserable ever since. When ever I inquired about pardon I have been told 10 years is the time. Is there any alternative to this.

Topic starter Posted : 11/06/2018 8:40 pm
Dave Alden
Member Moderator


You raise a good question as this goes beyond Canadian citizens. A US citizen could, for example, be denied entry to Canada if they had a criminal record including a DUI. Because this affects a person's ability to work, if their work would involve visiting Canada, it is something that has to be cleared up, or remains an ongoing problem.

I ran a search using's Find a Lawyer search engine, and discovered that there are a number of law firms available to clients who wish to seek the ‘record suspension’ and ‘pardon’ status referred to in the link you posted. The search term I used was "canada pardon record suspension"

I know of people who have successfully sealed their records to achieve pardon / record suspension status in Canada, allowing them to freely travel and work there. You raise a valid point and one that is worth looking into to eventually move past an event occurring years in the past.

Best, -- Dave

This post was modified 1 year ago by Dave Alden
Posted : 13/06/2018 8:10 am